Afforestation is the transformation of wasteland into the forest or the woodland. It is actually the conversion of land that has not been forested for more than the period of 50 years to forested land through planting or seeding. Afforestation is as far the best method to reduce the green house effect.
Benefits of Afforestation :
It restores ecological balance of all eco systems.
It maintains biological diversity
It act as catchments for the soil and water conservation
Plating tress can stabilize soils by increasing interception
Prevent floods and safeguard future of the tribal people.
Bring soil together and prevent soil erosion.
Afforestation act as windbreaks
Stabilized the climate and the forest products.
There is the constant need to develop massive afforestation programmes for the protection nad preservation of the forestry on the suitable land including the wasteland. A massive social forestry programme is needed to meet demands of the local people for the fodder, timber and fuel wood.
Both the governmental and Non Governmental Organizations have been propagating afforestation programmes.
Due to the industrial revolution many countries have seen the rapid decline in forests. Cutting of trees is not only a threat to the environment but also to the quality of life and to the economy also.
Reasons for the decline in forests :
Explosion of human and livestock population
Increased demand of timer, and fuel wood
Expansion of the agricultural land
Construction of the infrastructure along the mountains
National Afforestation and Eco Development Board :-
With the view to promote afforestation in the country, National Afforestation and Eco Development Board was set up in August 1992, which is responsible for promoting tree plantation, ecological restoration, and the eco development activities. The NAEB was concerned with the following functions:
- Suggests measures for the ecological restoration of degraded forest areas and adjoining lands through the systematic planning and implementation.
- To meet the fuel wood, fodder and other needs of the rural communities.
- Restore fuel wood, fodder, timber and other forest produce on the degraded forest and the adjoining lands in order to meet the demands for these items.
- Support the people,s movement for promoting afforestation and eco development with the assistance of the voluntary agencies, Panchayati Raj Institutions, non Governmental Organizations.
- Coordinate and monitor action plans for afforestation, tree planting, ecological restoration and eco development.
For more information log on to http://ecoindia/jungles/